Welcome to Impudia's Educational Game Blog. The goal here is to bring together knowledge from very talented people of all sorts of backgrounds in order to create Effective, Engaging and Educational Games. EVERYONE is invited to share your ideas and thoughts. Let the Games Begin!


Learning from Conrad Wolfram

Today I watched a TED talk video from Conrad Wolfram and I just wanted to share some thoughts on what he has to say:


Important Notes:
-"No one is very happy with math today"
-"Stop teaching calculating, start teaching Math"
-Why teach math? (jobs, living, logic)
-80% time doing Computation in schools
-What is math? (question, formulation, computation, verification)
-Don't make computers teach kids how to do math by hand
-If you really want to check if you understand math write a program to do it.


My thoughts:
-Math is a very unpopular subject in schools, the majority of students tend to think that it is too hard or that they are too dumb to understand this. I am completely against this idea, I think math is something everyone can understand if they are presented with the information in a fun way and they are given time to understand at their own pace.
-Calculating is boring, long, and can easily lead to making mistakes. and it doesn't really proof that the student knows math. they just know a part of it.
-I really like the logical part of math. it is perhaps why I feel it was my favorite subject, it just makes sense, and it helps you start thinking logically
-Check out this website for computation! https://www.mathway.com/
-I liked the definition of math that he gave. for me it is crucial to pose the right question.
for example, if there is a family of 4 and they have $2,000 per month, how should the money be distributed?
in this case, a very basic math mentality, would simply divide $2,000 by 4 (giving each member $500 to spend), but a real math solution would look at factors that are not just right there, it would lead to more questions, like how much rent do they pay?, debt?, school? it would look at a problem with a broader view.
-This one really gave me something to think about, in the past I have worked on making games teach calculation, when I could be trying to make the games be more of applying math logic to play.
-Here is a great link for those of you that want to give this theory of programming math a try!  http://projecteuler.net/


No comments:

Post a Comment